Stephanie’s 1973 Honda CB350G alternator cover came to Moto Monday night at MotorGrrl this week with 2 badly hardened steel stripped screws.
It took all night, but we ground the heads off to pull the oil bypass valve and retain the cosmetic appearance of the cover.
Corinna Mantlo & Valerie Figarella, MotorGrrl
Monday nights this winter are all about my little dirtbike rebuild over at the MotorGrrl garage. Miss-Fires member and MotorGrrl owner Valerie is a fantastic host with beers on ice and music cranked. And leave it to the Miss-Fires ladies to always arrive with baked goods…mmmmm.
I’ve had my 1971 Yamaha At1 125 for a few years now and its served me well as an awesome daily rider, and there isn’t much that’s more fun than bouncing around on it on the Red Hook cobblestones. Of course, then the engine got filled up with about a gallon of slime and i was time to give it a little love. So, with the engine in a thousand pieces, and new parts ordered, Lori works on extracting the old bearings and seals. Heat is used to pop the bearings out easily. And I’m glad we did decide to replace the bearings as on removal, there was a ton of crud between them and the case. Well worth the time and expense.
While The ladies worked on the Yamaha bearings and drilled out frozen screws on Steph’s Honda CB350 case, I kept my nose to the polishing wheel, to have the engine cases bright and shiny in time for the whole thing to go back together next Monday night.Of course the best time was probably had by Neville The Devil.
1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning, 1962 Ford Ranchero
On any (winter) Sunday, you can find The Miss-Fires working away on Stephanie’s 1973 Honda CB350G complete rebuild project at Motor Preserve. This bike came to her in boxes and we are determined to have her riding by her birthday this spring.
With the cylinder, cylinder head, and cam base installed we are ready to tackle the camshaft. We installed the cam chain sprocket, camshaft, cam chain tensioner, rocker arms, rocker pins and set the alignment of the camshaft and sprocket with the alternator.
Oil pump and filter were cleaned and all gaskets and o-rings replaced. Engine covers were cleaned and prepped.
Next week, we will install the primary gear. Reassemble and install the oil filter and pump, as well as the clutch basket. We’ll set up the ignition timing; points, gaps, and check/adjust timing. The alternator cover which has stripped screws will be drilled out.
Stephanie and her engine block are coming together. Happy girl!
– Valerie Figarella, MotorGrrl
1978 Yamaha XS650 Custom Street tracker, 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit, 1974 Harley Sportster project
When it comes to vintage bike projects, it seems like you’re always waiting on something. It’s not until the cases were cracked that we were able to determine what needed replacing for the complete rebuild of the little 1971 Yamaha At1 125 engine.
overall, everything was pretty clean, but the decision was made to go replace the seals and bearings as the ball bearings felt gritty when rolled. Parts were ordered from Cyclepartsnation which is a great resource for vintage bike parts and makes it easy with exploded diagrams of each section of the bike for part identification.
In the meantime, instead of twiddling our thumbs or b-lining it to the bar, we got to work polishing the covers and head, which was fine since Val always has a cooler of beer and the music cranked over at MotorGrrl garage on Monday nights. When using the polishing wheel, make sure to keep a good grip on the piece your working with, and use lots of polish on the wheel pad. To preserve the finish after polishing, rub all pieces down well with WD40.
1971 yamaha at1, 1968 BSA Lightning, 1962 Ford Ranchero
Stephanie’s 1973 Honda CB350 complete rebuild project. This bike came to her in boxes and is currently a roller. The goal is to have it finished by Spring!
forming a plan. She left off with the engine mostly put back together. Today’s goal was top end, rocker boxes, Cam, etc.
Using Kim’s CB350 as illustration…
Then it’s off to wind down at our regular Sunday night happy hour at Black Bear Bar!
Corinna’s 1971 Yamaha At1 125 had filled itself full of a lovely mixture of fluids…today’s goal was to crack the cases and clean it out.
while we’re in there, everything got a good cleaning and once over to determine what parts needed replacing.We always find a bit of time for beer and gabbing…
With the rotor threads completely stripped, Fumi (of Sixth Street Specials) improvised a bit to help us crack the cases open. We’ll be adding a new rotor to the list in case it has to come off again.
all hands on deck…
Corinna’s 1971 Yamaha At1 125 daily rider needed a bit of love to save it from becoming a planter.
We headed over to MotorGrrl garage, got the beer on ice and got to work.
this bike has seen some fun in it’s day.
Shop Dog. Neville The Devil.