Project Dirtbike

 

10006915_10203386714245648_2032393894_n

Project Dirtbike, the engine rebuild of my 1971 Yamaha At1 125, was on hold for a bit while I waited on parts to be sent. specifically the piston circlips, which so far is the only part i managed to misplace in the entire project. pretty damn impressed with that. After a long 2 week wait for the $2 part to be sent from Canada, they finally arrived and we were able to schedule a garage night over at Motor Grrl to got the top end together, and the engine back in the frame. yahoo!

10173769_10152109732359608_804900191_n

Everything’s looking pretty good so far, and though we broke at midnight to catch some zzz’s, we hope to fire up The Runt this weekend after just a few minor tweaks.

Corinna Mantlo

1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning 650, 1962 Ford Ranchero

 

Project: BSA

photo 5We recently did a quick one nighter session over at member Valerie’s garage MotorGrrl, on my 1968 BSA Lightning. The fork seals were leaking badly and it should have been a quick swap, but as with many old bikes and mine in particular, nothing is ever what it seems.

1555526_682822451739323_1171141786_nI already knew that my ’68 Lightning has a ’70 Thunderbolt 650 engine in it, but i thought that was the only modification. Of course when we went to install stock, mail ordered ’68 A65 Lightning fork seals, we discovered that the Beezer has  earlier A10 forks fitted to an A65 wheel. So…another week’s wait to get the right seals and I was back up and running. I love my franken-bike. Viva la vintage iron!

Corinna

1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning 650, 1962 Ford Ranchero

Project CB350G

1654400_10152040358374608_1642190372_n

What an exciting week over at Project CB350G. The engine is completely buttoned up, points set, and into the frame she went!

As a few folks have mentioned, these engines are a tricky fit, but Stephanie and the team got it wrangled in perfectly, while preserving the freshly painted frame.

1975083_702392393115662_1090590622_n

Such a sense of accomplishment to see the bike start to come together and to know the hardest part is done. Spring is near!

 

Project Dirtbike

photo(1)Moto Monday winter project nights are going strong over at the MotorGrrl garage. Here’s an update on the 1971 Yamaha At1 125 engine rebuild project.

photo 2-1This week we put the transmission together, installed the crank, tested the gears and shift pattern, applied Yama-bond to the case edges and pressed them closed. Be sure to thoroughly check your gears and shifting BEFORE you closed up the cases as it’s a pain in the butt to open them up again. Guess why I mention this…Go on, Guess? 🙂

photo 4-1A tip from a friend is to install the transmission, close up the cases (without the crank installed), put on the shifter and go through the gears until you are sure they’re right. Once checked, open cases (easy now, since the crank is not pressure fit in place), install crank and pressure fit cases closed.

photo 5-2We used a torch to heat the bearings (staying away from the bearing balls themselves), then tapped them closed carefully with a rubber mallet.

photo 2All photos by Miss-Fires member, Kristin.

Corinna

1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning 650, 1962 Ford Ranchero

Project CB350G

1234029_10152013274824608_1186951831_nSunday found us plugging away on the CB project. by the end of the day, cover pieces were shinier, and the top end is set, timed and ready to go!

1607013_10203002591802827_117769171_nCongrats to Suzanne and Tony (who stopped by with their pup) on their recent engagement. Glad we got to hang out and give you both a hug!

1796602_10152013298529608_1946351915_nAnd of course it’s not just us girls in the garage. The fellas were there for good company, moral support, ‘harley beer’ and custom patches. Thanks guys!

Corinna

1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning 650, 1962 Ford Ranchero

Project Dirtbike

image_1This Monday night’s addition of Project Dirtbike (the engine rebuild of my 1971 Yamaha At1 125), over at MotorGrrl, focused on Bearings. We determined they needed to be replaced as they felt ‘gritty’ when turned. Once extracted, we we pleased we decided to replace them as there was a good amount of dirt between the case and the bearings. no good.

photoThe basic procedure for installation is to freeze the bearings for a day or two, to shrink the metal. We pulled them out of the freezer a few minutes too early…so we kept them on ice, literally.imageMeanwhile, the cases were heated to expand the metal, so that the ‘shrunken’ bearings drop right in.

image_2Of course this doesn’t always work perfectly the first time, and Ross and Slade were kind enough to show us some tricks of the trade for perfect, flush installation. Thanks guys!

Corinna Mantlo

1971 Yamaha At1 125, 1968 BSA Lightning 650, 1962 Ford Ranchero